Monday, January 13, 2014

Wanted: Deflecting Bracelets

Maybe they aren't bracelets, more like kick *** wristbands.  Remember the Wonder Woman of the 70's?  What was her name?  Linda something?  She had that rockin' patriotic costume, her magic lasso, an invisible jet and most importantly those all powerful wristbands.  Can I buy those on Amazon?

We are all fighting the blues here.  We don't feel good.  We live on an educator's salary (stinkin' national priorities of who gets paid the most).  Good friends have moved away.  We never get anything accomplished.  House is falling down around us.  Car makes a weird noise.  Bathroom ceiling paint peeling off.  Kids argue all the time, and whine, and make messes.  Oh, the list could go on and on and on and on.

For me, I think I inherited my predisposition for the negative from my father.  He struggled with depression from what I gather.  My Mom says she remembers sitting on the crest of one of the hills above her house and reflecting, "What more could you want Ernie?  We have this house and these kids?"  But my Dad fought with inferiority.  That feeling that no matter what you do, it isn't quite up to snuff. 

I feel that.  Often.  I try to recognize it and then challenge myself.  One of my favorite books, Anne Lamott "Operating Instructions" chronicles her struggles with depression before and after the birth of her son, Sam.  I remember reading a quote with the gist of "Don't leave me alone with my own thoughts.  It's dark and dangerous."

BUT if I had those magic wristbands I would put them on and deflect, deflect, deflect.....I may even sport the uniform if it comes in my size.

Apparently I will do anything to get through January and February. 

2 comments:

  1. We need to get out more. It's good for the soul!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you wear that uniform..post a picture and we'll all get over our depression!LOL

    ReplyDelete