Saturday, February 5, 2011

Tribute to an Oldy but Goody


When we purchased our house, along with it came my current broom. Sure, she may not look very good. She's a bit tattered and torn after 30 plus years of sweeping hard wood floors. However, she gets the job done, oftentimes with style. She is also very versatile. When need be she can be reversed to retrieve a lost matchbox car that has run amok under a sofa or the kitchen stove. She's a good worker and trusty companion.

Therefore I take offense to a recent person's comment that an intervention was needed and my broom must be replaced. I've tried. None have her firm yet pliable bristles able to reach into the cracks under the counters. Others are flimsy and can't muster up the gumption to sweep a major salt spill or wandering oats from morning oatmeal.

So I will stay strong and loyal. You will never be replaced on my watch, old girl. Sweep on. Live long. Know that there will always be a place for you in my kitchen corner.

1 comment:

  1. I think you're blinded by irrational, unconditional love, like the raccoon who chewed on said broom for a really wonderful night back in '83.

    ReplyDelete