Thursday, February 10, 2011

Family Historian

My husband was elected by his family to be the family historian. What this really means is we get to store all the family memorabilia at our house. Really we don't mind, though sometimes I wonder what I would do will all the space freed up if the vast album collection (including but not limited to Andy Gibb, Barry Manilow and Michael Jackson) were to vacate the premises.
Because of his holding this office, we have in our possession the family Atari.
Last weekend we broke it out and the result, an impromptu Atari Party.

At my house, my brother and I would play Pong, Space Invaders, Asteroids and Pac Man. Kevin's family had a few that I am not familiar with Q-bert and some war game where you spin your tank and shoot at objects in the distance. I was a little disturbed watching my 5 year old enjoy blowing up things and providing such commentary as"Take that you. I'll get you."

It's amazing how it all comes back to you. During Pac Man we instinctively knew to wait for the ghosts to gather around you BEFORE you eat the square that causes them to flash for 10-15 seconds thereby ensuring you to digest several more ghosts than if you just haphazardly ate the square. Also with space invaders you have to hide underneath the shields just enough that your cannon can fire at the space aliens but enough that it also affords you some protection from their shots.
We are a bit out of shape though. My trigger thumb doesn't seem to be a subtle as it once was and the reaction time must be improved if there is hope of venturing to a second level.
Next time, Super Nintendo featuring Super Mario Brothers and Donkey Kong. If only we didn't have to share screen time with the kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment