Saturday, October 16, 2010

Hot Blooded

One of the hardest parts of being a parent is recognizing the traits of yourself that you dislike the most in your child.  I was reminded of this the other day as Ethan, affected by his lack of lunch, was very angry and yelled at his brother, friends and mother. 

"Go away I want to be alone," I was told when I tried to talk to him afterwards.  He eventually came around and we did talk about it discussing the positive ways to relieve the anger inside.  Seems we just can't remember those in the moment! 

I come from a long list of hot heads from my father to my father's father.  My dad would get so frustrated with things that he had a long list of recurrent cuss words to voice his agitation.  I feel like I struggle to keep my temper in tow.  I wish I was more even tempered, like my husband. 

I am still learning how to constructively voice my anger.  Unfortunately my oldest son will have to figure this out as well. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh Sally, I feel your pain! I had truly hoped not to pass my tendency to yell on to my girls. Since I still don't have it under control myself, they get a healthy dose of bad habits from me regularly. My therapist seems convinced that mindfulness will make it all work right.
    T

    ReplyDelete