Monday, October 24, 2011

Nightly Routines

I am, like most people, a creature of habit. I thought of this the other night as I was putting the boys to bed. Kevin was at his late class so I had Will on my lap upstairs in Ethan and Ben's bedroom and after we had read a few books I started my set of bedtime songs.

I start off with "You are my Sunshine." which reminds me of my Grandpa Varner who told me stories of singing this song on hayrides with friends. Next I lead into "Godspeed" by the Dixie Chicks. I love a lot of music but have never been a country fan. However, I do enjoy the Dixies and this song is a good one for bed time and if you have boys.

Next I bring down the house with James Taylor's "You Can Close Your Eyes." Always a favorite of mine and a crowd pleaser. Then I jump into camp songs, "I am my own Grandpa" "Johnny Rebeck" perhaps throw in a little "Wild 'bout Horns" or "I Pity the Poor Little Froggy".

The other night I started to get a bit bored. Really? Am I stuck in a moment and can't get out of it? (Nice U2 reference, thanks.) So I pulled out a little "Carry On My Wayward Son" by Kansas but thought the lead air guitar might not have the calming effect I was desiring so I worked my way into "Closer to Fine" and "Galileo" by the Indigo Girls. I tried to work in a little Foreigner but "Feels like the First Time" seemed a little PG 13. Also, I have been trying to think of how to sing a radio edit version of my current obsession, Mumford and Sons but haven't worked that out yet. On a sidebar though somehow swearing with a British accent doesn't seem as offensive.

I suppose I will revert back to the old standards this Wednesday night because I realized I have difficulty remembering some of the words without the radio blaring and the instrumental accompaniment.

I just remembered I need to google the words to "House at Pooh Corner" by Kenny Loggins to increase my Pooh song repertoire for Will. He is into special requests.

I am not considering signing up for the reality singing show. Just looking for a little variety in my nightly routine. That's it.

I know. I hear you. Don't quit your day job.

2 comments:

  1. Whoa...what a repetoire! We have 4 standard lullabyes here: "Moonshine" (the song the little mice sing on Babe), "Floating" (a song from a Pooh movie...I'll teach it to you), "Twinkle" (but sung like Jewel on her lullabye album...that's a good one, by the way), and "Adelweiss"(L's favorite). I need to branch out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've got "You Are My Sunshine" all the time, every night, multiple renditions. My list gets smaller and smaller with each child. Martin was singing all kinds of stuff to the Merry--Bob Marley, all these folk songwriters, etc. Now it's Sunshine all the time.

    But I DO know ALL the words to Pooh Corner. Maybe Will could have a guest singer some night. I'll cap it off with a little Roger Whittaker--maybe "Durham Town" from his English folksong album.

    K

    ReplyDelete