Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Things you learn at the Body Shop

Since the van needs to be inspected next month, I decided to conquer one mundane task on my things to do list and take it to the body shop for an estimate.

I have no problem talking with strangers. My mother did not read the Berenstain Bears book, "The Truth about Strangers" to me when I was young. I also will not read it to my children as it describes people as good apples and bad apples. As you know it is hard to tell one from the other. Seems a bit extreme to me and therefore I let them chat with unknown folk in small town America. A perk of living where we live. Apparently I married into the right family as my mother-in-law has never known a stranger and could at one point tell you the life stories of most, if not all of the cashiers at Big Bear. Jealously prevents me from telling you about her adopted family at the Acura dealership. I think she added a clause in her will for those folk.

Anyhow, I was at the body shop a total of 20 minutes. I didn't even sit down but stood leaning against the wall holding Will on my hip. These are some of the things I learned from the unknown woman in the waiting room:

(Feline names have been changed to protect the innocent.)

If you have cats and want to keep them off the counters, you need many, many empty cereal boxes. Line them up on the counters and then when "Fluffy" jumps up she will be scared because of the noise.

If you want to keep "Shadow" from jumping on the table, put a dish of jelly or some other sticky substance that he will not like to get on his paws. (She did not mention how to clean up the kitty prints that are certain to ensue.)

Her 8 year old cat, "Sparky" was angry at an animal outside the kitchen door. He proceeded to take his anger out on her, an innocent party, by inserting his fangs into her left leg. She proceeded to lift her pant leg to reveal the scars. In Sparky's defense, she also has taken her anger out on the next person who enters the room, even if they are not involved in the conflict. Sparky, although old, was promptly taken to the vet. where his fangs and claws were removed. Sparky was a victim of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

She receives numerous phone calls every day of people looking for the Smith garage because it is the same as her last name. She intends to place the phone number of the garage near the phone so that she may courteously provide said number.

If I want to fix the broken third tail light on my van, I should search at the salvage yard for it. (Perhaps the boys would enjoy such an activity!)

She had a friend who in an attempt to toilet train her dog brought a stump into the house. (Thought this may be applicable to my life as Will is getting closer to potty training age.)

Also such toilet training can happen on a "diaper" as she calls them, placed on the floor.


Estimate for replacement of rear light: $120.00
Wealth of knowledge gained from Chatty Cathy Smith: Priceless

2 comments:

  1. It's a complete rip-off at the auto body shop, I tell you! Did you check with Tommy at TNT? He gave me a good deal since I paid out of pocket and didn't go thru insurance.
    T

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, i loove it. i can just picture you there, listening so politely and interjecting a kind comment here and there.
    and you can definitely use some of cathy's pointers, especially about the cats!

    ReplyDelete