Friday, March 18, 2011

Irish Lunacy

Perhaps the Leprechauns affected the rational side of my brain.

Perhaps they have been slipping "shamrock juice" into my morning tea.

Maybe it was due in part to genes linked to my paternal grandmother who was Irish and a wee bit goofy.

Who knows, but for some reason on St. Patrick's Day 2011, I lost my part-Irish mind. I decided to do a labor intensive (though incredibly cute) baking project with a 2 year old and a 5 year old.


The beginning of the project was all happy go lucky. Times were good. The cake batter was mixed. Turns were taken. We were all smiley, lovey and St. Patricky.
Then Will, a/k/a Mr. No Mine, started becoming possessive of the batter bowls and wouldn't let anyone stir. Then, he decided he wanted to eat all of the batter raw. Try talking rationally to a two year old about salmonella.


The boys enjoyed putting the food coloring in each bowl and mixing. The purple layer went pretty smoothly. By the blue layer, they were bored and done. I finished alone as they found other creative outlets for their energy.

Around the yellow layer, the Irish bitterness started to rise in my veins. Really? What was I thinking? I found the project in a Family Fun magazine. This is what they don't show you...the after effects of the project a/k/a the horrific clean up.


All in all though, they turned out pretty well.

Irish insanity aside the boys enjoyed eating a rainbow.

2 comments:

  1. Ay, they were the cutest wee cupcakes this side of God's green world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also inherited that lunacy gene....the projects always outlast the kids!

    ReplyDelete