Sunday, January 13, 2013

White Flag

I throw in the parental white flag of surrender.  I am unable to maintain any positive attitude with regard to rearing my own children.  It is 9:18 am and I have already argued a lifetime with the three to get them dressed and out the door to Sunday School. 

I have taken away ALL legos from my oldest child until he can speak to me without rolling his eyes and while simultaneously using a kind tone.  Heck, it doesn't even have to be kind at this point, I will settle for a monotone.  He will earn them back by 1.  Using kind and appropriate words 2. Maintaining a positive attitude.  Otherwise I am already thinking of how much money I will make by selling the legos on e-bay. 

I know they are not perfect.  I don't expect them to be perfect.  I just want them to, every once in awhile, be appreciative and kind, especially to their family. 

I had little disciplining when I was a kid.  (Hence my wild nature.  Ar ar)  My mom was very "hands off".  If I was upset about something  I would slink away to my room and then, afterwhile I would return and nothing would be said about it....good or bad.  Maybe that is why I try "too hard" to mold my own sons.  I just want them to understand feelings and how to deal with them and the fact that they aren't crazy for feeling them. 

I just can't stand it when they yell at me and say mean things to each other.

E said the infamous "I hate you" yesterday for the first time.  I sent him to his room and in a few minutes went to talk to him about how it made me feel and the fact that he can never take it back.  Then I had to offer him a flow chart for what to do.....1.   If you hurt someone's feelings what should you say?  2.  Maybe you can offer a gentle touch to make the person who is sad feel better.  3.  It is always nice for a mother to hear "I love you" from their son.

These are things that I thought would be instinctive.  Apparently not.  As I explained to him, I am doing my best as a mom.  I am not intentionally making your life miserable. 

Calgon take me away.

1 comment:

  1. It's official...you need some time away from the kids! I'm sure everyone will feel better afterwards...how 'bout Saturday?
    T

    ReplyDelete