Saturday, January 19, 2013

Cafeteria Musings

I saw a teacher in the hallway on my way out of Ethan's lunch yesterday and she said, "I never understood why parents voluntarily come into the lunchroom." 

Well, it is called "I am a sucker." 

Yes the cafeteria is incredibly loud and chaotic.  Yes my sons, typically, barely acknowledge my presence.  But it is a nice thing to do and a good way to get to see who they are interacting with, so Will and I put on our earplugs and surprised them.

These are the conversations I was a part of...

                 First Grade boy, "I am going to get my lip pierced when I am ten years old." 

                 Me, "Really?  Don't you think that will hurt?"

                First Grade boy, "No.  I am going to get snake fangs."

                Me, "Well, why don't you wait until you are a little older,
                like say, 100 or so before you do it."


                Third Grade boy, "Do you know this song?  
                dum dum dum dum dum Just a small town boy, living with a lonely toy

                 Me, "Yeah I do.  Journey 'Don't stop believin"

Then he went on to sing two or three more I have never heard of.  One was about playing basketball, basketball, basketball.

                Third Grade boy spreading three packets of mayo on his pizza slice,
                           "My mom told me to try this one day and now I can't get enough of it."
                Me  speechless

My glimpse into their daily lives was very eye opening.  A timely reminder for me that I do have good kids even if they can't dress themselves or seem to be able to pick up anything around the house. 

Despite the noise, the disgusting eating habits and hearing of future piercings Will and I let his big brothers know that we were thinking about them and wanted to see how they were doing.  

Enough said.

And Will gets to be a celebrity for the day.  Those grade schoolers just eat him up.

2 comments:

  1. Too funny! I have offered to eat lunch with my 4th grader, and she has not taken me up on it...I think she's embarassed. Maybe I'll just show up one day with my ugliest outfit on and embarass the heck out of her?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha

    that made me chuckle. Especially the mayo. that's nastified.

    Yes, T, by all manner, embarrass the fourth grader. they need it every once and a while. Merry's almost paralyzed when I'm around these days. She's just waiting for me to do something that will humiliate her, our entire family, and possibly all of humanity.

    ReplyDelete