Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Gummi Bear Friday

During college I fell in love, with preschoolers.  Granted, they (especially my own) try my patience like nobody's business, but I always say that's why God made them so cute...for survival purposes during these stubbornly challenging times.

Sophomore year in college I signed up for "Kiddie Psych" which I still remember was scheduled for 3:00-3:50 on MWF.  As a part of the class you were required to volunteer at the college preschool for an hour a week.  That is where I learned about gummi bear Fridays.  During Friday snack time, three to four colorful little chew bears were placed upon each child's napkin (of course by the snack helper so that he/she can practice one-to-one correspondence).  The children LIVED for gummi bear day.  Each time you saw them you were bombarded by questions, "Is today gummi bear day??  When is gummi bear day??"

I loved being in the preschool so much that I volunteered every semester from the beginning of sophomore year until I graduated.  I played dress up.  I sang songs.  I put the hamster in his ball and let him roll around the room.  Once I was in charge of the griddle where for some unknown reason we were letting the 4-year olds make pancakes.  WHAT?  Thankfully on my watch, no fingers were burned.  But I think it did take a few years off my life.

Next week I get to be in preschool again!  I am so excited.  I will be working one morning a week at Will's preschool.  Hanging with the homeys in the younger class.  Working on my negotiating skills.  Imparting knowledge on wee minds.  Joining the gainfully employed. Look out, I may actually receive a W-2 this year.

Maybe I will bring back "Gummi Bear Friday" ?  If only I can give up my worries about tooth decay.  Somehow, "Sugar-free non chewy healthy snack" Friday doesn't have a cool ring to it.


2 comments:

  1. Yeah! Congrats Ms. M. Perhaps we can try for a Wed AM tea time one of these days?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not without me! No tea without me!

    Sallyboo, I leave and what happens? You join the workforce. WTF?

    Seriously I hope it's fabulouso. I think you will do a slam-bang job. Don't forget your texter and your latte so you can fit right in the morning.

    :) Snarky.

    ReplyDelete