Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Eventful and Uneventful Days

We have had another stretch of sickness in our house this past week.  Ethan stayed home from school Tuesday and Wednesday.  Wednesday night at 8:00 pm was his championship basketball game, so even though he didn't play, we went to cheer for his team.  It was so exciting.  They tied it up in the last second of the game to go into overtime.  Unfortunately we lost 30-27, but it was quite the game!

I was happy to be distracted that day because it was my Mom's 90th birthday!  It would have been such a fun celebration to have with her.  Grief is such an interesting thing.  One moment you feel like you are managing it all pretty well, and the next your heart aches.  There are certain losses you never get over.  I am pretty sure that losing your Mom is one of them, no matter how many years go by.

I have flashbacks of the last few months of my Mom's life.  I am starting to dwell on the happy moments and try to rid my mind of the hard ones.  One fond moment is just sitting with her on her little green couch at her house and chatting away.  Probably not really talking about much, but just being in one another's presence was comforting.  We enjoyed looking out the picture window at the spring birds and the flowers starting to pop up.  I am sure we were sharing a cup of tea.  On this year, it is only fitting that my snowdrops and crocus popped up right in time for her birthday.  How about that, Sadie Belle?


2 comments:

  1. So lovely. I think you are correct, you will never "get over it." I hope that you continue to replace the not-so-nice memories with the good ones! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, Sally. You are such a dear, loving daughter. And your Mom is a truly remarkable woman. I hold you both dear in my heart.
    xo

    ReplyDelete