Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Pulling the Wool over her Eyes

When Kevin and I first were married we used to curl up on the couch and watch the BBC channel.  There was a show that we loved about a group of Brits who would come and makeover your garden while you were away.  I forget the name of it, but it was fun to watch the response of the homeowner which typically began with "Godsmack!".  Maybe this was were Kevin came up with the idea of organizing a group of our friends to work out at my Mom's 80 acre farm. 

My mom LOVES to work outside.  She has always had a garden, huge by most standards.  And she can tell you were most of the plants and trees around her house came from....one tree which is now 8 feet tall she started from seed, pine trees her older children brought home in grade school for mother's day, a sapling taken from Bucky's neighbor's yard, a small conifer that Doug found along the side of the road, hydrangea's she brought home from Marlys', a buckeye tree I bought in Cincinnati and drove home with it sticking out of the sunroof of my car...etc. 

There is a lot of work to do out there.  So much indeed that we all feel a little overwhelmed at times by the amount.  Lucky for us we know a lot of AMAZING people, some 25 in fact (including those staying at home with children) who worked all day on Saturday to help my mom.  She got a little teary eyed when she saw how much was accomplished.  There is still work to do.  I mean, I don't want her to sit on her duff for the rest of the summer, but it was a fantastic start.  Thanks to all of you for your time and generosity.  And a special thanks to Kevin, the man behind it all. 

I have pictures, but am having technical difficulties at present.  I will post them when I can figure it out.

1 comment:

  1. Angels from Heaven...that's what I call them! DT

    ReplyDelete